The Woodward/Newman Drama Award is an exclusive honor offered by Bloomington Playwrights Project, remembering the many great dramas Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman performed in together.
It presents the best unpublished full-length drama of the year with a cash prize of $3,000 and a full production as part of the BPP’s Mainstage season, along with travel reimbursement. Submissions for the 2021-22 competition must be submitted by Dec 1, 2020.
Guidelines for Submissions
BPP is now accepting submissions for the 2021-22 Woodward/Newman Drama Award. Submissions must be submitted by December 1, 2020. The winner will be announced by June 2021.
- “Full-length” plays should have a complete running time of between 1 hour 15 minutes (75 minutes) to 2 hours 15 minutes (135 minutes).
- Plays submitted must be unpublished at the time of submission.
- Each submission should be sent to BPP via email. Send your email to email@example.com
- Your email should include the following:
- Tell us for which competition you are submitting: Reva Shiner Comedy or the script Woodward Newman Drama
- Tell us your name, phone number, and the name of your Play
- Tell us how you are satisfying the $10 administrative fee
- Agent submitted scripts require no fee.
- If via Dramatist Guild membership, attach a copy of your DG card to the email
- If you have paid via Paypal on our website, indicate your confirmation number and the email address used.
- Paypal is preferred, but if you can’t pay on-line, you may send a check or Money Order, (must be from a US bank). Tell us the check or Money Order number. Make it payable to “BPP” and mail to BPP, 107 W 9th ST, Bloomington, IN 47404
- Attach a PDF file containing your script with the following information included in the following order:
- Title page with author name
- Synopsis (1 page or less)
- Character list/breakdown
- Production history for the play—Include readings and productions
- A brief bio of the playwright,
- Full Script
- Submissions that fail to include all requested information in the order listed will be disqualified from the contest.
- Plays submitted in previous years will be accepted.
- Two separate submissions per playwright per annual competition are allowed as long as each submission has all the required materials.
Pay Reader Fee
- 2019-2020 The Absentee by Julia Dolittle
- 2018-2019 To Quiet the Quiet by Christy Hall
- 2017-2018 Out of Orbit by Jennifer Maisel
- 2016-2017 Happily After Ever by Laura Zlatos
- 2015-2016 You Remind Me of You by Matthew Capodicasa
- 2014-2015 Ugly Lies the Bone by Lindsay Ferrentino
- 2013-2014 Sequence by Arun Lakra
- 2012-2013 Lemonade by Mark Krause
- 2011-2012 Three Views of the Same Object by Henry Murray
- 2010-2011 Miles Away by Christine Whitley